dimanche 8 mai 2011

Tulips and 10k

Last weekend I signed up to run a 10k race in Lausanne. My history with running has been on-again, off-again. I guess you could say I am a fair-weather runner; I love to run--but in the right conditions. That being said, I didn't run at all when we lived in Houston and I finally started up again toward the end of our stay in Marseille after I finally weaned Jonas. After another short hiatus I started up again in February. Running where we live here in Gland is absolutely amazing. I leave from our apartment and three minutes later I have reached the trails that run up and down the creek and can either run down towards Lake Geneva or up into the Jura mountains. Going further up the forest is littered with trails. It would really be a waste not to take advantage of it. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to add a race to the mix.
The race didn't start until 17h, so we decided that visiting the Morges tulip festival would be a good way to spend the earlier part of the day.



Then we went to Lausanne for the race. Jaxon was very excited about his new (free) hat and cow bell and enjoyed the skateboarding display while I as running.

Daniel was insistent on taking a picure of me with my nifty medal after the race. Nope, I didn't really win in any sense of the word, but I did finish the race in 55 minutes, putting me at a little under a 9 minute mile. Not spectacular, but respectable. I was happy with it, and it gives a reference point for future races. I run "unplugged," no music or timing myself, so I really had no idea how fast I run. Jaxon loves wearing the medal out and about, though we've had to put some heavy restrictions on his cow bell usage.


2 commentaires:

  1. That sounds like it's just about as fast as 9 years ago when we'd do our 6-mile runs on p-day around the Eldorado Park! It always took us just under an hour. And I don't think you're too fair-weathered-- I felt like we were pretty intense runners to wake up at 5:45 each morning for our 3-mile loop! By the way, I really appreciated after-the-fact how lucky I was to have you for a running partner-- only two other companions (out of 8) would run with me!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Go Janet! I love the tulips, too. I can't believe how different Jaxon and Jonas look from each other. They have grown so much.

    RépondreSupprimer

Membres