dimanche 8 mai 2011

An Easter Hike

I guess I should qualify it as the day-after-Easter hike. To finish off Daniel's four-day weekend we decided to hit les Alpes Vaudoise. There is supposed to be a spectacular view at a place called Rochers-de-Naye, and a marmot farm to boot. Most people take the cog train up to the top, but that isn't really for us. We decided to hike it, not knowing for sure what we were in for.

The hike was both strenuous (not shown in this picture with the paved path) and spectacular, but then a few hours in a couple of hikers on the way down informed us of a narrow passage that was completely snowed over, and suggested we take another route.
We decided to go to the Col de Jaman instead, but found snow on those paths, too. It wouldn't have been that bad had I not been wearing my hiking sandles. Oh well, I wasn't going to let that stop me.

The view on the other side was really spectacular

I think there is a reason trains don't use this track anymore...
Le Col de Jaman in the background
We ended up hiking for about six hours. It was amazing to see how much Jaxon has matured since the end of last hiking season. We have been taking him on some pretty crazy hikes since he was about 3 1/2, and he has always done great. However, even last fall I remember having to give him some pep talks every now and again when we were hiking around Mont Blanc. Now he is giving us pep talks to keep us moving! It was amazing to see how he just cruised up this mountain with no complaints.
Of course that had to enjoy some of their Easter candy when we got home. I got all of their Easter basket stuff when we were in Germany. My favorite was the grass. None of that plastic neon green stuff. This was REAL grass that smelled great! In the end I suppose the kids didn't care what kind of grass it was, only the chocolate mattered.


1 commentaire:

  1. I have to say I'm a little jelous of all the hiking you guys get to do! What an awesome opportunity.

    RépondreSupprimer

Membres