vendredi 11 septembre 2009

A Slow Ease Back into Civilization...

Our next stop was Orkney to admire more neolithic leftovers. Here we are at Skara Brae, a neolithic village.



There were tons of seals hanging out in this cove, so we hung out and did a little seal watching. Looking at this picture, I just want to add that in packing for this trip, Daniel initially had me pack our swimsuits and snorkeling gear... Luckily he had me take it out.

The Ring of Brodgar, kind of like Stonehenge but supposedly better because you can get up close and personal.
Jaxon appreciated that the lightning knocked this stone down.

The Standing Stones (a lot of creativity in that name)
Enjoying Apple Crumble Orkney ice cream. Mmmmm...



We decided to rent bikes for one day to bike across Mainland. The kids really enjoyed it for the most part. Daniel quickly realized that biking uphill while pulling 60 lbs. behind you with 25 m.p.h. headwinds isn't as easy as you may picture it in your mind. But he survived and we plan on doing it again...somewhere less windy and less hilly.



We spied on the Scottish wedding at the church which was a lot of fun. And I think Jaxon wants to take up the bagpipes now.
Our next stop was Inverness, where are primary purpose was to go monster hunting at Loch Ness. However, we really enjoyed Inverness itself and got to see some highland cows.

On a boat on Loch Ness.

Jaxon was pretty brave at first, but then he got a little nervous looking out for Nessy.

At Urquhart Castle. Daniel still hasn't figured out how to say the name right.

Wandering around the Inverness Islands.


Jonas taking a nap during a mild rain storm.
We were only able spend one day in Edinburgh, which I thought was a total shame once we got there. It was such an awesome city: great castle, great museums, great parks, and since we were there in the middle of their huge music festival, there were tons of street performers and lots of chaos; the stuff I really like. Or maybe I was just happy to have finally made it to a place where people definitely outnumbered sheep and cows...and it was warm enough to take my jacket off.


Jaxon practicing for his street performing act
And then back to southern France to warm up

5 commentaires:

  1. wow- you guys look so happy and adventurous! what a beautiful family! also, everthing on here is french. . .
    krista (& Paul)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Amazing. Jaxon looks like he is ready. Just hand him some bagpipes. I'm sure the people in your apartment complex won't mind.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I feel like I've been to those places before. . . well, expect for Inverness. Jealous. Looks like fun, if not a bit cold and rainy. But it wouldn't be Scotland without rain. Hope the trip was great and worth all they hype I made for it. It always has a place in my heart. I also think it would be cute if Jaxon learned the bagpipes!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Amazing! It's so cool to think that Jaxon is getting old enough that he will probably remember a lot of what you guys are doing for the rest of his life. You guys do a great job with making lots of good memories.
    Thanks for your comment Janet. :) As I said in my post, I agree that it is great for a President to encourage education. I just have a problem with a couple of the details. Love you guys too! I'm so sad that you've been gone so long and there's no telling when we'll see you again.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I love Jaxon's happy smile. Jonas looks a lot like his uncle John, especially in the picture of Jonas sleeping with his mouth open. John used to do that as a child. ;) I visited Edinburgh (spelling?)for one day when I was a teenager. I lived in Newcastle upon Tyne in northeastern England for about 6 weeks with an English family. It was so fun getting to tour many parts of England with an English family.

    RépondreSupprimer

Membres