dimanche 31 mai 2009

Back to our life in France

(Posted by Daniel)

As the kids were still jet lagging on Saturday, we were all up by 6:30 am. Normally, this would annoy me, but today I had plans. I had prepared everything we needed the night before and we were out the door shortly after to finally do something I have wanted to do for a while.

A few weeks ago, we attempted to hike to the famous calanque d'en vau, but I did not realize that the final portion of the trail that descended to the sea was much too difficult and dangerous for children. We arrived to the calanque but only could gaze down from the top of the high white cliffs to the inviting turquoise blue waters and secluded beach below that seemed to be calling my name. At that moment, I decided that I had to find another way and that we would then safely visit that calanaque. After asking some locals, a friend informed me of another more reasonable route.

Upon arriving at the beach, Jaxon instinctively ran to the water and stared silently for a while before beginning to strip off his cloths to get in -- a typical Jaxon ritual regardless of the weather.

To motivate Jaxon during the long hike, we pretended we were explorers, and as we got an early start, we were some of the first to arrive and were able to have the beach to ourselves for a while.


Jonas is becoming quite the beach bum. He loves playing in the sand and rocks. Hopefully he doesn't wear down his one budding tooth.
I of course brought my snorkeling gear. Jaxon is starting to learn how to use his, but I think he will need to practice more in the bath tub before seeing any fish in the sea. I enjoyed exploring the underwater landscape and observing the many types of fish in their element. The Mediterranean Sea is extremely salty which makes swimmers very buoyant and swimming effortless. On many occasions I would float motionless as a school of fish slowly swam by.

The water has gotten a little warmer and Janet decided to get in.

Rock climbers littered the sheer cliffs which of course did not escape Jaxon's attention. He climbed to the top of a small bolder and enjoyed the view. We did not try the cliff behind him.
On the way back to the car, as we rose from the deep canyon to the plateau, the wind picked up which sure got Jonas excited. He loves sitting forward facing during hikes and stopping occationally to touch the leaves of the trees and feel the rough surfaces of the rocks. It is fun to watch him as he explores the world around him although we have to keep a close eye on him to make sure he does not swallow his discoveries.

4 commentaires:

  1. Allan and I peeked at your blog yesterday morning and talked about how it would be so cool to come visit you guys in France and visit some of those awesome places but there's no way we could even pretend to be able to afford it. haha

    When you described snorkeling especially- man, that would be heaven!
    You guys sure don't look jet lagged in these pictures- all four of you look so happy.

    I can't believe how cute Jonas is and how much he's changed since we saw him as a newborn. And Jaxon- man I miss him! I was looking through some of my 2007 picture folders and I found pictures from when I used to babysit him. We had some really good days hanging out with him :)
    I can't believe he's four years old now!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. It was so fun to read about all your adventures that you've just posted over the last couple days! Your family looks great - tell your parents and Matt and Rachel hi for me. It's so funny to me how cute and chubby Jonas is since Jaxon was always such a little squirt! I think we have the same pattern in our family - baby number 1 is tiny and baby number 2 is a chunk!

    I would also LOVE to come visit you again - I've always wanted to go back to France someday. Maybe if you're still there in a few years from now we'll be able to afford it (o:

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Your vacation to Washington looked perfect. I loved the little videos of Jonas and Jaxon. I read that you got yourselves caught up on The Office but what about Lost? I miss getting together for food and suspense.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. You guys lead such an action packed life! Carter loved looking at all of the new pictures and pointing out Jaxon. I'm glad y'all had such a great time. :)

    RépondreSupprimer

Membres