jeudi 9 septembre 2010

A Few of our Favorite (Marseille) Things

Realizing that our Marseille days were quickly winding to an end, I finally took the camera out to take pictures of some of the banal, day-t0-day things that we enjoy here. I definitely didn't capture even a half of the things I would have liked, but here are some of the little things that we won't forget. Jaxon riding the carousel at the vieux port. We loved frequenting the vieux port of Marseille, with the fish at the fish market jumping around and the boats coming in and out.
This hadn't been around for all that long, but there was an artsy globe exhibit taking place and these globes littered the city. We (especially me and Jaxon) had a fun time checking them out.

One of the places that we liked getting pizza "au feu de bois" at Noailles. It was super cheap and delicious


Our favorite permanent olive stand, conveniently located in our "Little North Africa." These were the cheapest olives we found, but they were great. We are really going to miss consuming as many delicious olives as we were able to in the south of France.



The daily fruit and vegetable market at Noailles.

You would not expect it, but this little pizza van located just next to Daniel's work produces the best pizza in the world. Really. The kids and I would go meet Daniel for lunch from time to time and take advantage of it.
Here we are enjoying smoked salmon and cream pizza, au feu de bois. We also loved the goat cheese and cream and the roquefort and cream pizzas.
Daniel in front of his office. I don't know if it should make it on "a few of our favorite things" post, since really his job was the only thing we didn't like, the only reason we decided to leave. I think the expression on Daniel's face captures it; is it an expression of disgust? Of pain? Anyway, it is too bad!

I really should have gotten more pictures of our friends as we were hanging out with each of them for the last time. We made such great friends in Marseille and we are going to miss them so much! Luckily we will not be too far away and we can go visit. Soon.
This shouldn't be on our favorite things post, either. It felt really surreal to see our little apartment empty and this van ready to take all of our things away.
We loved our time in Marseille and we are really going to miss it. I have never loved living in a place as much as I loved living in Marseille. It is such a unique city. You have all of the benefits of the Côte-d’Azur but without the bling-bling. The people are incredibly open and welcoming and even without speaking the language when I first got here they helped me feel integrated almost immediately. I love Marseille, grit and graffiti and all. I hate to leave, but Geneva should be nice, too...

3 commentaires:

  1. I love that totally recognized some of your favorite spots. Post some pics of your new place (especially your guest room) I'm anxious to see where I'll be sleeping. Hope your getting settled in well. Miss you always.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I am so glad that I also recognized some of the Marseille locations! I actually got tears in my eyes when I saw the picture of the moving van in the parking lot. What fun we had visiting you in that little apartment. I'll always remember the boys riding their bikes and scooters in the parking lot (and Janet riding Jaxon's scooter! I'll remember Jaxon looking for snails, and Jonas standing on the chair looking out the window when we were coming or going. Totally wonderful times!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hello Janet- What a wonderful experience you all had there:) You are so cute to include the places you loved to visit and see- you will miss that when you are gone, but off the another wonderful adventure. I can't wait to see you next fall:)

    RépondreSupprimer

Membres