samedi 12 février 2011

The best birthday ever!

So I wasn't sure how the big 3-0 was going to feel, but thanks to a great husband and great friends, my entry into my fourth decade was delightful. We decided to celebrate my birthday a day early, since Daniel thought he might have a work commitment the evening of my real birthday. We had a nice celebration with our little family, and Jaxon and Jonas were more than happy to open my presents for me, including lots of fun treats and the soundtrack to Wicked (finally:))! Daniel was very thoughtful in picking out gifts for me. Then, on my real birthday, Daniel didn't have to work and surprised me with flowers and more gifts.
Before my birthday, a friend of mine, Harmony, suggested that we celebrate our birthdays together, since hers is Feb. 1, and I was definitely on board. I am of the opinion that no birthday is complete without some kind of exciting excursion, so our families ended up going to Ovronnaz, where another friend, Alma, is lucky enough to have parents who built a chalet up there. We spent an absolutely perfect, beautiful day skiing the bunny hill and sledding. It was my first time on skis, and before this experience I had been kicking myself for not buying a snowboard instead of skis since I know how to snowboard and wasn't sure how motivated I was to learn how to ski, but being up there and figuring out the basics converted me.

The kids (and adults alike) had a great time sledding
And then...when it started to get cold we headed over to the thermal baths. It was nothing short of fabulous. It was such an amazing sensation to be in the hot pools with the cold air and a gorgeous view of the Alps on all sides. We stayed through the afternoon until it got dark, so we could also have the experience of seeing the stars and the christmas lights. We all had a blast. Although I must say that I didn't appreciate Jonas' tantrum when it was time to go.
Finally, famished, we headed over to Alma's chalet (okay, her mom's, but close enough) for an amazing dinner of raclette with smoked ham and beef followed by a delicious cake that Alma had made for us.
We didn't get home until 1:00 in the morning and then we had to wake up early for church. When I woke up I was tired, but all I could think was, "Wow, that really was the perfect day." Skiing, thermal baths, raclette, cake, great weather, spent with family and great friends? Perfect. It was a great birthday week.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Membres