vendredi 7 mai 2010

Spring Break in Germany

For Jaxon's spring break this year we were able to go visit my parents where they are serving their mission in Nuremberg, Germany. What a treat for me to be able to see them without dealing with a superlong flight and weeks of jet lag (kid jet lag, that is)! I am definitely going to take advantage of it while they are in Europe. We had a great time with my parents, we ate really well, and I got to reconnect with old friends. The only thing that could of made it better would have been having Daniel there, but he had to work. Also, if Daniel had been there I would not have had any reason to try to find a way back to France with any urgency when our flight was cancelled due to volcanic activity... Hanging out in Nuremberg. It is such a perfectly quaint city with a beautiful old town and a castle to boot. Most of it has been rebuilt since it was flattened during the second world war.
A little bit of bouldering around the castle

Enjoying my first bratwurst of the trip. So delicious!

Jaxon loved this bridge
Jaxon going out grocery shopping

My parents appartement is perfectly situated, right outside the old town and just next to the Peignizt river where there are miles of trails (which I took advantage of for my morning runs) and several beautiful parks.





I made a few trips to this store to stock up on Lebkuchen, which I love.
The kids and I spent a day at the Nuremberg Zoo. It was huge! And beautiful. We had a great, exhausting day.
One of the highlights: this baby giraffe was just 10 days old.

We went to the seal and dolphin show. Jonas absolutely loved it. I think we need to take him to Marineland.
This park, part of the children's zoo, was awesome. Check out that slide!



This was Jaxon's favorite goat. He hung out with him on the rocks for a long time.
Jonas flashing the goats.

Jaxon had been talking about seeing the buffalos all day, I am not sure why. But he wasn't disappointed.

I still need to work on my video taking skills with the camera...

Getting back to France turned out to be very tricky after our flight was cancelled the first day of German airport closures. I finally decided to go by train. Daniel was going to be in Geneva a couple of days later, so I decided to meet him there so I could have his help for the last 4 hours of the trip from Geneva to Marseille. This ended up being a very good choice, because the French train system had decided to go on strike during the worst tranportation disruption ever and our train was cancelled to Marseille. Our car had broken down the weekend before I left and miraculously Daniel found a car to rent to come to Geneva. So we did make it home...after sixteen hours of travel instead of 3. But no complaints. The kids did great.

6 commentaires:

  1. I love the picture of Jaxon and his grandpa in the village with the stone street, how cute is that? Ok, so for my next trip, Geneva and Germany =) Miss you girl.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. oh, i just love you and your parents! hopefully we'll get to see you guys someday...
    so which mission are they in? my parents are actually in germany right now picking my sister, anne, up from her mission. she was in the hamburg mission.
    your boys are growing up so big! looks like you're all doing great (:
    love ya!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I'm so glad you guys got to spend some time with your parents in Germany! Your parents are some on the nicest people I've met. What a great opportunity. Jaxon and Jonas are growing up so much! It seems like just yesterday that you guys left for France, but I guess it's been quite a while. I love the pictures at the zoo. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I'm so jealous of your trip to Germany! Maybe someday I'll go back as well. Too bad you can't send some of that Lebkuchen our way. Love that pic of Jonas flashing the goat. It made me laugh.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Janet, your parents are the sweetest things. I bet they are happy to be back in Germany. And I bet they are awesome missionaries.

    Your boys are adorable! And you are definitely a super mom for saying you have no complaints about your journey home. You rock!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Great pictures! What's lebkuchen??

    That's cool that your parents returned to Nuremberg for their mission! (Didn't you live there as a kid?) Glad you made it back to France and your kids survived the delay and changes of plans!

    RépondreSupprimer

Membres